Wednesday 12 June 2013

The Rude house guest.

picture the scene.

they come to your door, you let them in.

they walk into your living room, and their lip curls in disgust.....




they spot a picture from your wedding.
"Wow.  your dress was ugly and unflattering. and your hair, what were you thinking?"

"those ornaments are tacky"

"the carpet is rank. when was the last time you vacuumed"

"I don't know if I've ever told you this, but you have terrible dress sense"

"family photo? is that your Mum? I can tell because you've both got the same big nose"

"oh, I was glancing at your CD collection. you have awful taste in music"



anyone okay with this? would anyone out there behave like that when they go into someones house?
I would like to hope not.

so why is

"oh yuck, are those rats?" okay.



YES they're rats. and I love them from the bottom of my heart. you couldn't get more personal than expressing disgust at those that I love. how utterly rude can people be? were they not brought up to have any manners whatsoever?

why is it that people that were raised better than to tell you that your skirt makes your bum look big, or that your new haircut is dodgy, or that they don't like your decor, think it's okay to be nasty about something even more personal? your family

I will admit, I am not the biggest fan of cats. if I visit someone with cats, I do not express disgust at their pet. even if it's fat, sluggish and hopping with fleas, and there's a whiff of litter tray in the air. and some cats, when I get to know them, I quite like them.
why do I not react with disgust? because it's RUDE. I understand that to that person, that cat is a loved family member and I wouldn't say anything about them that could hurt their feelings.

hey, I'll even feign interest in pictures of someones baby, even if it has snot all over it's face, and looks like a fat, bald, old man. I'll try and find something flattering to say about their pride and joy. 

so why do people think it's okay with rats? do they think rat lovers don't have the same bond with their pets that other pet owners do? do they think that secretly, deep down, we know they're disgusting, and just like them despite that?

IT'S NOT OKAY.

good manners cost nothing. if you are a guest in my home you don't get to say someone I love is disgusting. 




ever heard the expression "if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" ?

so if at any point you come to my house and say something horrible about my rats, the loves of my life, that bring joy to my day as soon as I walk into the room. that entertain me, cuddle up with me, and break my heart when they leave me...


then don't be shocked if I ask you where you got those hideous shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment